1250 Elmwood Court
Broomfield, CO 80020
My 20+ years’ Experience in Business, Technology and Complex Program Management across Multiple Industry Domains (incl. Manufacturing, Retail, Financial Services, Healthcare, Pharmaceutical, Media, Entertainment and Advertising) has facilitated a Deep Direct as well as Intuitive Understanding of the Value of Data (incl. Big Data, MPP and NoSQL Technologies) Where, How and Why to Apply Technology (incl. New and Emerging Technologies) to Solve Business’s Problems and identify Opportunities.
Mike Pluta has had a career filled with new and different experiences. He considers himself lucky in this regard. Mike does not shy away from a challenge for lack of earlier experience. While Information Systems and Technology has been Mike’s primary professional focus, by taking advantage of opportunities outside of the IS/IT realm, Mike has learned and grown in ways otherwise not possible.
In addition to his extensive IS/IT experience, Mike Pluta was a Venture Capital business plan analyst. He designed and built network monitoring software and equipment, built commercial radio broadcast studios and even hosted a weekly radio show. Mike built radio and TV broadcast transmission facilities on mountain tops in Colorado and he’s built companies. From concept to operation, Mike built an industry leading large format sign and billboard print company.
In addition to developing a wide and deep pool of life and work experience, the work done outside of IS/IT by Mike Pluta has enhanced his intuition and direct understanding of how, where and why to apply technology to solve business problems. Having been involved in the start-up of several companies, Mike has acquired an appreciation and comfort with the role of player-coach; doing what is necessary to facilitate tactical operations while working to define and steer toward the company’s strategic goals.
BROOMFIELD TECHNOLOGY CONSULTANTS, Broomfield, CO 2010 – Present
- Broomfield Technology Consultants (BTC) is a boutique consultancy based in Broomfield, Colorado on the North-West side of the Denver metropolitan area. BTC focuses on providing strategic advice about Big Data and Business Intelligence to small and medium-sized businesses.
- Mike Pluta is the Owner / Operator of and Principal Architect for Broomfield Technology Consultants.
COGNIZANT TECHNOLOGY SOLUTIONS, Teaneck, NJ 2012 – 2013
Associate Director – Projects 2012 – 2013
Complex Program Manager 2012 – 2013
Big Data Program Manager 2012 – 2013
- Managed teams spanning multiple continents to develop a multi-petabyte public-cloud based machine-data collection and analytics solutions for a for a leading consumer goods vendor. Technologies deployed were exclusively off-site using the Amazon infrastructure and ecosystem (EMR, Redshift, Hive, DynamoDB, S3, Glacier, etc.).
- Facilitated and the development of a Big Data ‘Center of Excellence’ (CoE) program office (organization, processes and procedures) for a major financial services client.
EMC CONSULTING, Hopkinton, MA 2011 – 2012
Big Data Architecture and Strategy Consulting Lead 2012
Data Warehousing Practice Manager 2011 – 2012
Advisory Consultant 2011
- Expanded the practice capabilities portfolio by leveraging an internal assignment, developed a Big-Data-as-a-Service Service-Oriented-Organization development service offering, and associated customer facing sales materials.
- Developed an Oracle to Greenplum migration process incorporating engineering defined best-practices. Defined and implemented an on-shore / off-shore model reducing costs with readily available off-shore (India, Russia, China and Ireland) resources.
- Led the successful delivery of a repeatable ‘factory process’ in support of Data Archival and Application Decommissioning at a Fortune 500 retail grocery company.
- Expanded the practice capabilities portfolio by leveraging engagement deliverables creating reusable service delivery templates for Application Decommissioning.
- Demonstrated personal expertise by participating as a Big Data SME at an internal Big Data Summit of a world leading multinational consumer-to-consumer Internet Company.
- Led a team to successfully develop and deliver a Data-Centric Service Oriented Reference Architecture, Data Virtualization Reference Architecture and implementation strategy for the North American Clinical Research Operations division of a Top 20 pharmaceutical company.
BROOMFIELD TECHNOLOGY CONSULTANTS, Broomfield, CO 2010 – 2011
- Provided ongoing and transitional Engineering and Operations assistance to Radius Media Holdings.
RADIUS MEDIA HOLDINGS, Denver, CO 2002 – 2010
(a/k/a SIGN LANGUAGE, a/k/a NRC BROADCASTING)
Vice President of Engineering, IT and Operations 2007 – 2010
Director of Engineering and Operations 2005 – 2007
Director of Internet Development 2002 – 2005
- Provided engineering management to a staff of professional broadcast engineers supporting the transmission and studio facilities of 17 full power AM and FM radio stations (the second largest commercial broadcaster in the state of Colorado).
- Managed the IT, Facility and Telephony needs of 12 office facilities serving 125+ people.
- Maintained corporate compliance with Title 47 CFR Part 15 rules administered by the Federal Communications Commission. Provided oversight and execution of regulatory self-audits, external audits and regulatory examination and inspection.
- Participated as a founding partner of Sign Language, an industry leading large format print company. From concept to operation, built the company as an internally bootstrapped start-up.
- Oversaw the ahead-of-time and on-budget architecture, construction and move-in of newly purchased equipment to Sign Language’s initial production facility.
- Managed the on-time, on-budget architecture, construction and move of Sign Language from original facility to new 50,000 sq. ft. facility.
IPARCHIVE, Westminster, CO 2000 – 2002
Vice President, Technology, Research and Architecture
- Designed and managed the prototype of a high volume network sniffer capable of identifying file transfer protocols and performing audio identification.
- Participated as an author of ipArchive’s method and apparatus patent application.
- Facilitated the packaging, documentation and subsequent sale of the company’s intellectual property.
FASTIDEAS, Westminster, CO 2000
Director, Technical Services
- Performed technical review and due diligence of business plans facilitating funding decisions based on proposal viability and relative technical merit.
- As acting CTO for several internally funded companies, led the candidate search and hiring process of permanent technical management
- Ensured a smooth integration of the newly funded company into the co-resident portfolio family.
SYBASE, Emeryville, CA 1997 – 2000
Lead Principal Consultant 1999 – 2000
Principal Consultant 1998 – 1999
Senior Consultant 1997 – 1998
- Managed the development of the internal Data Warehousing Architecture methodology; SAFE/DW.
- Maintained stewardship and evangelism of the SAFE/Architecture methodology through dotted-line, matrix management of the Area Architects within Sybase Professional Services, world-wide.
NORTHERN LIGHTS SOFTWARE, Saratoga Springs, NY 1997
- Developed and delivered custom role-based training to meet the customers’ need.
- Provided technical evaluations and remediation advice.
TELECOMMUNICATIONS, INC. (TCI Cable), Denver, CO 1994 – 1997
Senior Database Administrator
- Progressed from stating as primary production and development DBA over all company Universe databases to DBA team lead for all Sybase databases.
VIA SYSTEMS, Colorado Springs, CO 1989 – 1994
Director, Research and Development
- Developed and supported software targeted toward the PICK Operating System.
- Authored VIA Express, the first commercially available cross-platform PICK to PICK data transfer utility
- Authored Axiom, the first GUI development environment for the PICK OS.
TRI-SYS CONSULTING, Milwaukee, WI 1985 – 1989
Manager, Technical Services
- Managed staff of employees and sub-contractors.
- Developed custom software and provided technical services and consulting meeting clients’ needs.
EDUCATION / CERTIFICATIONS
- EMC Proven Professional Cloud Architect, 2012
- Cloud Infrastructure and Services, EMC Education, 2012
- Virtualized Data Center and Cloud Infrastructure, EMC Education, 2012
- Project Management Tricks of the Trade, RMC Project Management, 2011
- OSHA 10-Hour Training Card, 2007
- OSHA RF Site Safety Train-the-Trainer Certification, 2007
- Certified Sybase IT Architect, 1999
- Certified Sybase Performance and Tuning Specialist, 1998
- Certified Sybase Database Administrator, 1997
- Various Technical and Management Courses, Sybase Education, 1997 – 2000
- Object Oriented Programming, Colorado Technical University, Colorado Springs, CO, 1993 – 1994
- Electrical Engineering / Computer Science, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI, 1982 – 1984